Early in the new year while sketching ideas for a new project to pursue, I was drawn to a few doodles of characters with large limbs and bodies complete with a tiny head. The first drawing of a football character charging down the field was the start of the Big Buds series.
After creating the first few characters I came up with a set of rules that helped guide the designs moving forward:
• Each character would stick to the theme of sports
• Create a unique pose relative to the specific sport
• Only use angles in increments of 15°
• Work with a limited color palette
• Keep proportions of limbs and torsos similar
• Play with the scale of props for maximum fun
• Design each character with a sense of motion
These rules weren't necessarily hard and fast, but they aided in guiding the direction of the characters as they were illustrated.
Finally, during a series of Winter Olympics themed characters were created in celebration of the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The goal with these characters was to celebrate a variety of sports while also creating a set of looping animated gifs.